The tart taste of apples and natural sweetness of sweet potatoes make this butternut apple soup one of my favorite winter treats. I simmer the vegetables in hearty chicken stock with a hint of rosemary and garlic, and the result is a comforting soup that will last for days.
You will need:
- – 2 TBSP coconut oil
- – 1 large onion, diced or quartered
- – 1 large butternut squash
- – 2 medium sized sweet potatoes (and/or: 1/2 lb of carrots)
- – 2-3 sweet-tart apples (I like Pink Lady or Jonagold)
- – 2 bulbs of garlic
- – 6-8 cups of chicken stock
- – 1 cup of milk (opt.)
- – Sprig of rosemary
1. Dice/cube the onion, butternut squash, potatoes and/or carrots, and apples.
2. Melt 2 TBSP of coconut oil in a large soup pot, and add the veggies, apples, garlic, and rosemary.
3. Cover and sweat the vegetables on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Then add 1 cup of milk (optional) and 6-8 cups of chicken stock (or enough to almost cover the veggies), and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
5. Scoop everything into a food processor or VitaMix, and blend until puréed.
6. Add sea salt to taste, and garnish with cilantro if you wish! This is also good with freshly shredded cheese on top. Mmmm….
Alternate RAW recipe
If you want to make this a totally raw soup and you have a VitaMix, then here’s what you do:
Reduce the amount of garlic because it will be stronger. The above recipe could fill a VitaMix three times. Either cut the recipe by two thirds OR you can do three batches. It’s up to you.
What you need to do is just throw everything into the VitaMix, and blend on super-high for 7-8 minutes. The soup should be puréed and warm by then! Super simple! Just add a bit of sea salt to taste. Enjoy!