Christmas is getting close! And everywhere I look I’m seeing fun, holiday recipes to celebrate the season. Today, I’m going to share with you a real food, homemade peppermint patties recipe that uses coconut, macadamia nuts, and fresh mint.
Makes 24 patties
You will need:
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (buy here)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 2 hours
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts (buy here)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (buy here)
- 2 TBSP coconut palm sugar (buy here)
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 2 tsp organic peppermint extract (OR ~1/4 tsp peppermint oil – buy here)
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract (buy here)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (buy here)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (buy non-gmo chips here) OR make your own chocolate with this recipe!
- 4 TBSP unsalted raw butter (*Omit this if using my chocolate recipe.)
Step 1: Using a VitaMix or food processor, blend the coconut flakes into a fine powder. In my VitaMix, this takes about 30 seconds on high. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
Step 2: Add together coconut oil, soaked cashews, macadamia nuts, stevia, mint leaves, peppermint oil, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and sea salt in the food processor. Mix on high until smooth.
Step 3: Reduce speed, and gradually incorporate the coconut powder until the mixture becomes smooth again.
Step 4: Scrape into a bowl and refrigerate until the mixture begins to set.
Step 5: When it is a doughy consistency and able to be molded, roll the mixture into a log and slice into coins.
Step 6: Lay the coins in a single layer (or stagger-stacked like bricks) on a baking sheet or plate, and freeze until firm.
Step 7: In a small sauce pan or double boiler, slowly melt the chocolate chips and butter, stirring continuously. Be sure that your spoon is completely dry, as water will cause the chocolate to sieze.
Step 8: Using a large serving spoon, lower each mint medallion completely into the melted chocolate. Transfer to parchment paper, and refrigerate to both set and store them.
Photo by Carey Nershi