For some reason, I’ve really been in the mood for a moist, gritty muffin. Maybe it’s the fall air that’s got me wanting comfort food, or maybe it’s because I haven’t had bread in so long, but by golly when I woke up this morning, I told myself I was making muffins!
Now, I don’t really eat bread these days, and when I do, it’s in small quantities because too much will make my stomach hurt and make me feel all bloaty. So I wanted to make a muffin that was more fruits and veggies than bread. What I did was take an Apple Carrot Zucchini muffin recipe I had and tweaked it a little. For one, I decided to add golden flax meal, extra zucchini and grated orange peel. We recently got fresh oranges, and I just couldn’t resist adding some of that fresh peel!
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw milk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, sucanat, rapadura, etc.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (cracked)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 2 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup diced, peeled apple
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini (I probably used 3/4-1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp grated orange peel
- Beat egg lightly in a large bowl and then add oil, milk, brown sugar and vanilla and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, flax seed, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together and then add to egg mixture (stir just until combined).
- Stir in apple, carrot and zucchini.
- Spoon into 10 paper lined medium muffin cups filling almost to top.
- Bake at 400˚F for 18 to 20 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Makes 12 muffins.
After the muffins cooled a little bit, we each ate one, and boy-oh-boy did they come out perfect! They were the moistest muffins I’ve ever had—not a bit of dryness in ’em! The flax also gave it a lovely gritty texture that if you don’t know what I’m talking about, would be hard to describe. It’s a lovely texture, whatever it is.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, and if you like it, leave me a comment below!
Never miss a post!
Plus, when you subscribe, you get reader-only deals, discounts, and offers.
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I appreciate your support, and I pledge to only recommend products that I truly believe in. Any compensation I receive from your support serves to keep this blog online for free for your use and enjoyment.