Frank and I were given a microwave by a friend when we married. Around the same time, we learned the damage microwaves can do to our food and subsequently our bodies. Instead of going in the kitchen, the microwave went into a closet, where it would sit for a year and a half.
It sat because we literally had no idea what to do with it. Should we sell it? But at what cost? If we made $20, what would it cost in health from the person who bought it? Sure, they would get a microwave anyway, but we didn’t want to be responsible for contributing to disease.
Food that is heated in microwaves actually changes in chemical structure. The molecules morph in such a way that your body literally has no idea what to do with them and they become carcinogenic (i.e. cancer-causing). Not to mention that microwaving food in plastic only serves to exacerbate the problem, as carcinogenic toxics can be leached out of the plastic and into your food.
And who really prefers microwaved food anyway? It’s often over or unevenly heated, and it always ends up gummy or chewy. Frank and I haven’t missed ours at all.
When we first made the switch, I told myself I’d give it two weeks, and see how I fared. Now it’s been over two years. My biggest concern, at first, was “saving time.” (Why wasn’t I more concerned about “saving health” then??) But what I discovered was that it really doesn’t take THAT much longer to heat food using the stove or the toaster oven. And it tasted better, too.Say you’re nuking pizza for, what? Two minutes in the microwave? It takes 5 minutes in the toaster oven on 350˚F, and it comes out HOT and CRISPY. Awesomeness.
What about reheating soup? Two and a half minutes in the microwave; 5 minutes on the stove on medium heat.
Mixed plate of leftover chicken, green beans, and mashed potatoes: 5-7 minutes in the 10″ skillet with the lid on. Stir once.
In the end, the two or three minutes I was “saving” was not enough to justify putting carcinogens into mine or Frank’s bodies.
So there ya go. That’s why we don’t have a microwave!
If you like to learn more about the dangers of microwaves, please check out this article on the dangers of microwave ovens.
We got rid of ours over ten years ago, and haven’t missed it.
Some of what you write is true in regards to microwaves,particularly when it pertains to heating in certain plastics. However much of what you wrote has not been proven and there is much speculation in the scientific community that microwaves are completely safe. Are you aware that there is much evidence that cooking with electricity is not safe either,after all less than 100 years ago no one was cooking with electricity and it also can change the molecules of food.Just something to think about, plenty of things out there that are written are not always true.
We hope to one day have a gas stove. In the meantime, we choose not to use a microwave to heat our food.