Introducing the Love Thyself Breakfast. This savory breakfast is a love anthem of flavors that build into a crescendo on your tongue. It begins with sweet onion and salty essence of bacon and builds into a creamy cheese sauce with greens and eggs.
It’s the day after Valentine’s day, and I woke up this morning with Sophie snuggled in close. Since, I don’t want to post a picture of me after a night of beauty sleep, I’ll just post this adorable picture of Sophie instead:
I’m not sure how you spent your Valentine’s Day and if it was with your love or your friends who you love, or maybe you spent it by yourself.
Doesn’t matter. Because this breakfast is a LOVE ANTHEM I’ve created for you. To you from me.
At first it was a love anthem from me to me, which is why I’ve named it the “Love Thyself Breakfast.”
How to make the Love Thyself Breakfast
This love anthem starts with the mouthwatering, salty savory heaven that is chopped bacon lightly sautéed with soft pastured butter and diced onions. As the aroma of bacon, butter, and onions begins to fill your kitchen, add in a bit of minced jalapeño for sweetness and piquancy.
Next, if you’re lucky enough to have leftover rosemary and garlic roasted chicken, add in a handful of the tender shredded meat.
We are going sauté all of those for one more minute, and now we are going to build the sauce. Push the onion and chicken mixture to the top of the pan out of the way, turn down the heat, and in the open space we’ll add a spoonful of flour (I use einkorn), along with cream and a little bit more butter. Whisk whisk whisk. Thicken. Now milk. Now shredded parmesan and swiss. Whisk Whisk Whisk. Thicken some more. Now turmeric for color, pinch of salt, black pepper, pinch of nutmeg, squeeze of lemon.
Are you salivating yet?
When the sauce is rich, creamy and smooth, add in chopped arugula and spinach. Toss to wilt and then distribute the greens and sauce evenly in the pan.
With a large spoon (a gravy spoon is best), create an indention in the sauce and crack an egg into the spoon. Then gently remove the spoon so that the egg ends up nestled in the little pocket. Do this three more times. Cook uncovered until the whites are done, and, at the end, sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
It’s best served right out of the skillet, so plop that thing down on the table and spoon an egg and and some cream sauce into you bowl and eat with a spoon.
This breakfast is an I love you. May it nourish your heart and your body. Amen.
Also (just sayin’) the portion sizes are for one to two people, so if you really really love someone, you should make this for them and share it.
For more recipes like this check out my Flavor Crash Course!
- 1 slice chopped bacon (for the essence of bacon)
- 4 TBSP butter
- ½ onion minced
- A few jalapeño coins, minced
- ¼ cup shredded chicken or shredded pork
- 1 TBSP flour
- ¼ cup cream
- ½ cup of milk (maybe more if the sauce is too thick)
- ½ cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used parmesan and swiss)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 squeeze of lemon slice
- Handful of chopped arugula and spinach
- 4 eggs (preferably pastured eggs)
- Red pepper flakes
- On just below medium heat, sauté the chopped bacon, onion, and jalapeño with 3 TBSP butter.
- When they onions are soft, scoot everything to the edge of the pan and clear a space in the middle.
- Add the flour, 1 TBSP butter, and cream and whisk well.
- Gradually add the milk, a little at a time and continue whisking to thicken.
- When the sauce is your preferred texture, add in the cheese, all the spices, and the lemon juice, and whisk to combine.
- Add in the chopped greens, and stir everything with a spoon, folding it all together gently and evenly.
- Using a gravy spoon or large spoon, create an indention in the top of the sauce. Rest the spoon in the sauce, and crack an egg into it. Then, slowly remove the spoon, leaving the egg nestled in the sauce.
- Do this with all four eggs and let them cook uncovered until the whites are done.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes.
Never miss a post!
Plus, when you subscribe, you get reader-only deals, discounts, and offers. Sign up now, and get 2 free gifts immediately!
(*Hint* One is free food. #win)