10 ways to add gelatin to your life

I started trying to incorporate more gelatin into our lives after I learned about all the benefits from it.

Of course, we get some naturally-occurring gelatin in our bone broth, but since we don’t drink broth all the time, I like to find creative ways to incorporate more gelatin into our diet.

Gelatin is high in protein, vitamins, minerals, and collagen. And if you buy it powdered, like I do, it’s extremely versatile and easy to add to just about anything! I frequently whisk it into soups and stews to thicken them up, and there are a number of desserts you can make, too!

I buy this brand of gelatin:

10 ways to add gelatin to your life

It’s grass fed (we’ve called the company since it’s not listed anywhere), and it lasts for a while.

#1 way to eat gelatin: Homemade Fruit Snacks

10 ways to add gelatin to your life

The best thing about homemade fruit snacks is that you can make them any way you want! We’ve used all sorts of different fruit: lemon, grapefruit, orange, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. I’d be curious to try it with kombucha! In the past, I’ve used a 9×13 glass pan and just cut them into squares. But as soon as they come in the mail, I’m going to be using these cute little silicone molds.

#2 Vanilla Fennel Panna Cotta (A fancy name for an easy-to-make custard)

#3 Probiotic Infused Lemon Jello

#4 Crustless No-Bake Cheesecake

#5 Superfood Custard Fruit Tarts

10 ways to add gelatin to your life

#6 Silky Banana Bread Bites (GAPS, Paleo, gluten/allergy-free)

#7 Protein Pear Pudding

#8 Banana Pudding

#9 To Thicken Hair

Gelatin is excellent for thickening hair. It may take a bit of diligence, but it works! Simply eating gelatin can help, but you can also create a mask to condition your hair.

To make the mask, carefully whisk a tablespoon of gelatin into 1/2 cup of room temperature water. Then, add 1/2 cup of hot water, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, and 2 tsp of honey. Massage thoroughly into hair and leave for 5 minutes. Then rinse with warm water.

#10 To improve mobility, help joints, reduce wrinkles, strengthen nails, boost metabolism, help with weight loss

Consuming gelatin daily can help with all these things. Personally, if I’m not mixing gelatin into one of the recipes above, it’s easy enough to mix a tablespoon into 8 oz. of water or juice, and just drink it. I have a terrible habit of cracking my fingers, and consuming gelatin has helped rebuild my joints. It also causes my nails and hair to grow like much faster if I’m consuming it on a regular basis.

Liked this article? To read more things like this, sign up for my email newsletter.

Comments

1. Ken says

I’ve tried it in a couple things. Adds a funny (i.e. unpleasant) odor and taste.

Afraid to try to make more pudding as the first batch wasn’t a winner (due to the gelatin).

2. Michelle says

Thank you for this! I have that grass-fed gelatin which I purchased a few weeks ago and love having more ideas to help integrate it into my daily diet. It’s one of those things that seems so foreign, I had NO idea what to use it for!

3. Betsy says

Are the health benefits of gelatin exclusive to grass fed gelatin or is it just a personal choice to use grass fed over say Knox brand?

4. says

I know people always want thicker hair but im quite the opposite I have toooooo much I have five times the amount of hair thats normal! I Hate it! do you think eating more gelatin will make it worse?

5. Peggy says

I need to start adding it to my yogurt. I make a 24-hour yogurt that cures on the countertop and doesn’t require a heat source, but it is a tad thinner than the kids would like. I’ve been straining it somewhat, but when you remove the whey you remove a lot of the calcium, which I’d rather leave in. Adding gelatin seems like a good solution! Thanks!

6. says

Thank you sooooo much for the ideas!!!!! I just purchased some gelatin (grassfed beef) and didnt know what to do with it other than add it to my orange juice. I would love the recipes for all of your suggestions. Do you have them available ?
    Thanks, May

7. Michele says

if I made the gelatin squares or probiotics, I’d be eating the pan in one shot. :)

Thanks for the ideas – and thanks to one of your readers for the idea about putting it in coffee! ;)

I was hoping for an alternative, less expensive source, but this one is great! Pure vs fake any day!

8. says

I just ordered some Great Lakes Gelatin! I’m going to pin this and try some of these recipes soon! Have you tried them all? Which one is your favorite?

• says

I’ve tried all of them except the cheesecake and fruit tart ones. Frank’s favorite is the fruit snacks, which I also want to try with kombucha soon! My favorite is any kind of pudding!

• BecMay says

I started with 2 a week & have ended up with 3 one week then 4 the next. I had very dry brittle nails & skin & hair all my life~~boy is it so much better now!!!